Following #HPEDiscover a few weeks ago, the biggest technology event for Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) and our partners, I wanted to share the following story regarding one of the best and most innovative OEM solutions and customers I have had the pleasure and opportunity to work with, Konica Minolta.
In 2015 the HPE OEM Global Business Unit, led by Phil Cutrone and supported by Allan Mugu, identified a potential net new OEM opportunity that proposed a solution which would be first to market and revolutionize the Multi-Function Printer (MFP) market. Transforming the use of the 1m x 1m space, currently used for just print services, into a Hybrid IT edge enabled device for the connected workplace of the future.
Dennis Curry is the innovator and creator of the Workplace hub concept and portfolio. Leveraging Konica Minolta’s success and reputation within the traditional MFP market, he held the vision to expand a static product, used only for print and file services, to a cloud enabled Hybrid IT platform that would allow SMB’s, large corporates and key vertical customers in Industrial markets to consume IT services at reduced costs by leveraging the economics of scale offered from Konica Minolta’s technology landscape.
- Intelligent technology built around you – Workplace Hub connects people, places and devices. It learns and fits to you, giving you the power, freedom and efficiency to work as you want. So you can forget about your IT and focus on growing your business, or focus on using your technology to gain competitive advantage.
- A better way to work –Workplace Hub combines leading hardware, software, security, and a full suite of services. It means there’s one standardized way to manage your IT, with one contract and one point of contact to resolve all your IT issues. It gives you more control and enables you to reduce your total IT spend.
- Unlocking your potential – Workplace Hub gives you the IT capability of a far bigger company and freedom of a start-up. It unifies systems, removes repetitive tasks and enhances standards. It ends unwelcome IT distractions. It helps you work smarter, and the seamless integration of new intelligent technologies, ensure you’re always performing at your best.
I was appointed Global lead in the acquisition and development of Konica Minolta with full account responsibility, governance and coordination. I assembled a globally distributed and multi-discipline team consisting of; regional sales, sales operations, technologists, supply chain, legal, engineering and program management.
Moving the team from a pure product and solution focus we aligned with Konica Minolta’s strategy of business transformation to ensure we were the best technology partner to support them in their journey as described by company CEO Yamana-San.
Our teams worked closely in partnership and leveraging cross functional support from VP level executives throughout the both organizations; aligning respective peers, strategies and technologies, the team was successful in securing the largest OEM contract to date.
With the contract signed, HPE will be working in partnership with Konica Minolta to realize their flagship WorkPlace Hub solution.
With the successful launch of the Workplace Hub, HPE is now expanding its partnership and will also be partnering with Konica Minolta in the provision of Hybrid IT Infrastructure solutions, Enterprise Software, Professional Services, platform management and operations. This will enable the next generation of AI-powered Cognitive Hub workplaces of the future.
It has been a truly amazing journey for the HPE team to work in partnership with Konica Minolta and support them in bringing their initial market offering of the Workplace hub to market. In recognition of this I would like to thanks the following people from Konica Minolta but recognize this is only a few of the many people who have made this happen.
- Shoei Yamana – Chief Executive Officer, President and Representative Executive Officer
- Dennis Curry – Executive Director, Deputy CTO and Technology Fellow
- Norihisa Takayama – General Manager, Digital Workplace Business Unit
- Sandip Mundair – Director of Development Programmes, Digital Workplace R&D
- David Neal – Global Infrastructure Manager, Digital Workplace R&D
- Anne Dubar – Strategic Alliances Executive, Digital Workplace Business Unit
- Christian Mastrodonato – Chief Technologist, Digital Workplace R&D
- Sam Takeuchi – Global Programme Support Manager, Digital Workplace Business Unit
- Jerome Zastrow, Manager of Portfolio Extension, Digital Workplace R&D
- Stacey Sujeebun, Director of Marketing Communications, Digital Workplace Business Unit & North America
- Becca Cross, Marketing Communications Specialist, Digital Workplace Business Unit
The spirit of true partnership is in our DNA, HPE supported its partner, Konica Minolta, to ensure they could bring their product to market on time and within budget. Again the team within HPE was significant and the following represents only a selection of the key people who made this happen but as with all projects of this size it’s the team in the background who are the enablers.
- Phillip (Phil) Cutrone – Growth Expert, VP & GM, Creator of Strategic Partnerships, Leader of Sales Development; US Marine Corps Veteran
- Neil Pringle – Business Development leader responsible for business in Enterprise accounts, securing new accounts and IoT partnerships
- Clare Loxley – Director, International Media Relations at Hewlett Packard Enterprise
- Cliff Henson – Senior Vice President Global Supply Chain at Hewlett-Packard Enterprise
- Jesse Chavez – Vice President, WW Channel Sales and Alliances, Enterprise Group at Hewlett Packard
- Lee Chew Tan – SVP Business Group Global Sales
- Lin Nease – Chief Technologist, IoT at Hewlett-Packard Enterprise Group
- Allan (Gathuru) Mugu – Sr. Business Development Manager
- Simon Leech CISSP-ISSAP CCSK CISM CRISC – Security Executive at HPE | Technology Evangelist | Specialist in Cloud, Network, and Container security
- Elena Rusencu – UK&I Sales Tier 1 at Hewlett Packard Enterprise
- Mika Juotasniemi – Global Service Business Leader, Innovator, Growth leader, Business accelerator,IP and Service value connector
- Joseph Kilian B Fonlon – Senior Counsel at Hewlett Packard Enterprise
- Hirokazu Kawanishi – Head of Japan OEM Sales